What is self-image?
It is the picture you have of yourself in your mind. How you show yourself to others and what you think of yourself.
A positive self-image
is the beginning of healthy thoughts. A low self-image makes you feel terrible about yourself, it makes you hypersensitive to the words of those around you which usually grows into people pleasing. A low self-image has great consequences because you become your own worst enemy.
What are your thoughts about yourself?
Who is speaking in your thoughts? Maybe you, or maybe someone from your past whose words still ring in your thoughts. Your thoughts can be either positive or negative.
- Positive self-talk is encouraging
- Negative self-talk is critical and destructive – this person needs to challenge the critic inside of them.
Here are a few things you can do to better your self-image:
- Identify what it is in your life that causes you to have a low self-image. It could also be something in your past.
- Set a goal for yourself to change your negative self-image to a positive self-image.
- Work actively towards changing your thoughts about yourself by connecting tasks to it.
- Set small reachable goals which will be successes every so often, this will boost your confidence and self-image.
- Develop yourself. Look after your physical wellbeing, focus on positive self-talk, express your emotions by being in contact with them and not afraid of having emotions. Take responsibility for your emotions, this takes courage to do.
- Care for yourself. See your worth and treat yourself and others with respect. Remind yourself of your strong suits and forgive yourself when you don’t do everything you have planned to do. Take care of yourself even when you don’t feel like you deserve it.
- Develop a good support basis.
Find someone that will support you no matter what.
There must be objectivity and openness.
This person must confirm your strong suits and encourage you to reach your goals.
Someone that will listen and be empathetic.
Someone you can laugh and have fun with.
To develop your self-image, it needs to be an active focus point, daily. Realize that it is within your power to change. You must decide how you feel about yourself, never leave it up to someone else’s opinion.